Thursday, August 20, 2026

Floodgate Scam Witness Guteza Recants Affidavit

CHANCES of putting former House Speaker Martin Romualdez behind bars is getting slimmer as retired Marine Technical Sergeant Orly Guteza submitted a new affidavit which effectively abjured his previous testimony.

Guteza, who claimed to have worked as “security consultant” of fugitive Ako Bicol Rep. Zaldy Co, denied delivering suitcases of cash to former Romualdez. 

Aside from clearing the former House leader, he went on to accuse Sen. Rodante Marcoleta and former House lawmaker Mike Defensor of tapping him to make up accusations against the Leyte congressman — at cost.

IRRESISTIBLE OFFER

Guteza said the meeting took place in a Japanese restaurant near the Senate premises, He however did not say the exact date that they met. 

During the meeting, Marcoleta and Defensor allegedly made an irresistible offer — P150 million and educational scholarship for his kids, provided that he sign the affidavit directly dragging Romualdez into the flood control kickback.

On September 25, 2025, Guteza appeared before the Senate Blue Ribbon Committee (then headed by Marcoleta) looking into the flood control scandal. 

During the committee hearing, Guteza claimed that he was part of a team that delivered suitcases filled with cash to Romualdez.

After the hearing, Guteza said he no longer heard from Marcoleta and Defensor. 

FULL OF REGRETS 

It was at that point that Guteza said he realized he had been conned — and used. 

A regretful Guteza then claimed to have spoken to his wife and asked for forgiveness after he was made to believe empty promises of former Congressman Mike Defensor and Senator Marcoleta,.

“Kinakausap ko ang misis ko na nanghihingi ako ng kapatawaran. Kasi nadala ako sa matatamis na salitang pangako nina former Congressman Mike Defensor at Senador Marcoleta kaya ako nagpagamit ng husto,” Guteza said.

The retracted statement is part of the evidence that the Ombudsman is going through in the corruption cases against Romualdez. 

NO STATEMENT YET

Meanwhile, the Office of the Ombudsman doesn’t mind Guteza recanting from his sworn statement even as it claimed that it still has 28 witnesses who have material information on the alleged links of the former Speaker to the flood control scandal.

“Hindi bago ang recantation sa mga high-profile case. Classic pressure tactic ito. Hindi umiikot ang buong imbestigasyon sa iisa o kahit sa iilang witnesses,” the Ombudsman said.

“Sa kabila nito, ipinapaalam ng Office of the Ombudsman na mayroon itong 28 testigo na nakahandang magbigay ng direkta at materyal na kaalaman sa mga transaksyong sinisiyasat sa kaso ni dating Speaker Martin Romualdez. Nasa ilalim na sila ng legal process sa ngayon,” the Ombudsman added.

Prior to Guteza’s withdrawal of his sworn statement, four other ex-security aides of fugitive Zaldy Co recanted their affidavit tagging Romualdez and other personalities in the flood control scandal.




LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular

DOE Revising Systems Loss...

OVERWHELMED by public outrage over bill shocks, the Department...

US Wants Quiboloy Flown...

CITING existing treaties of which the Philippines is a...

Palace Stops Jonvic, No...

MALACAÑANG finds no reason to extend the term of...

China Lays Claim Over...

WITH the maritime territorial dispute at the West Philippine...

Court Issues Warrant Against...

FROM being whistleblowers, all 18 individuals referred to as...

Related

LGUs Taking Shares of Pork Barrel Too

THE RELEASE LAST February by the executive branch of...

Ombudsman Suspends LTO and LTFRB Bosses

THE HEADS OF two transport agencies won’t be reporting...

2027 NEP Flooded With Lump Sum Allocations? 

THE PROPOSED P7.2-trillion budget for 2027 is filled with...

Marcos Must Defer Endorsing Successor

WITH LESS THAN two years in office, President Ferdinand...

Calls to Halt Lake Wind Farm Gaining Traction

DEVELOPMENT should not come at the cost of the...

More from Author