Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Marcos Must Defer Endorsing Successor

WITH LESS THAN two years in office, President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. should seriously consider dropping the idea of endorsing his bet for the 2028 presidential derby.

In a news article which first came out in the Inquirer, University of the Philippines (UP) Political Science Professor Jean Franco said that an early endorsement translates to what looks more like a “kiss of death” especially at a time when public approval and trust ratings of the Marcos administration is plunging to record-low.

Such an idea, Prof. Franco added, would expose whoever the president endorses to unfair criticisms — if not a well-funded “demolition job.” 

Aside from the “bad timing,” anointing “somebody” today would also raise doubt on the administration’s priorities as the country is reeling from one crisis to another like the energy crisis, flood control scandal and impeachment trial of Vice President Sara Duterte, to name a few.

“He might be [accused of] prioritizing politics over urgent issues, because the economy is not good and we have the impeachment trial. The flood control scandal is still there, [and] several people have not been arrested,” Franco said.

During a presidential luncheon on Friday with the Foreign Correspondents Association of the Philippines Marcos said he would be endorsing a candidate in the 2028 election, but that “he had no one in mind at the moment as it’s a little early for that.”

According to the President, his preferred candidate will be someone who will “continue what we have begun in terms of the anticorruption measures.”

So far, only Duterte has announced her intention to run for President in 2028, while Sen. Risa Hontiveros only said she was “open” to running for the position.

Because of her declaration, Duterte has placed herself at risk of “criticisms and negative press,” Franco said.

“However, I think she was compelled by circumstances because of the impeachment trial. She needs to frame the trial as preventing her from being a candidate in the 2028 elections,” she noted.

“Currently, she’s still the most viable candidate in the 2028 elections, although her numbers are slowly eroding,” Franco added.

Franco said that developments in the flood control cases and impeachment trial would “shape how people will vote in the 2028 elections,” and whoever emerges as a “promising leader out of these events will have a good chance” of winning the polls. 

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular

DOE Revising Systems Loss...

OVERWHELMED by public outrage over bill shocks, the Department...

US Wants Quiboloy Flown...

CITING existing treaties of which the Philippines is a...

Palace Stops Jonvic, No...

MALACAÑANG finds no reason to extend the term of...

China Lays Claim Over...

WITH the maritime territorial dispute at the West Philippine...

Court Issues Warrant Against...

FROM being whistleblowers, all 18 individuals referred to as...

Related

2027 NEP Flooded With Lump Sum Allocations? 

THE PROPOSED P7.2-trillion budget for 2027 is filled with...

Calls to Halt Lake Wind Farm Gaining Traction

DEVELOPMENT should not come at the cost of the...

DOE Revising Systems Loss Standards

OVERWHELMED by public outrage over bill shocks, the Department...

Bulacan Dike Destroyed 2 Months After Completion

THE province of Bulacan which lies on the outskirts...

Pasig Court Under Fire Over Wage Hike Ruling

MOMENTS after the Pasig Regional Trial Court ruled to...

More from Author