A TEACHER AT the Lut-od National High School in Pinamungajan, Cebu on Thursday found — and confiscated a highly-lethal Magnum 357 revolver in the bag of a 14-year old student, which was surrendered to the Cebu Police Provincial Office.
The police said the teacher was conducting a surprise inspection of students’ bags when the .357 magnum revolver was discovered, reported ABS CBN.
“Without ammunition. The firearm was subsequently secured for proper documentation and disposition,” Cebu Police Provincial Director Col. Abubakar Mangelen said initial investigation showed that the firearm allegedly belonged to the student’s grandfather and was kept inside a cabinet.
The minor reportedly took the firearm from the cabinet and brought it to school.
Authorities also learned that the minor lives with his grandparents as his parents work in a different area.
The child was turned over to the Municipal Social Welfare and Development Office.
“We commend the school personnel for immediately reporting the discovery and seeking police assistance. Their prompt action helped ensure that the situation was contained before it could potentially lead to harm,” Mangelen added.
The incident remains under investigation.
Prankster Arrested
In Bantayan, meanwhile, a 21-year-old man was arrested also on Thursday for posting a series of online messages threatening to carry out a shooting at Bantayan National High School-Senior High School.
According to the complainants, the suspect warned another individual the day before to tell the school guard to be more vigilant and to inform fellow students about his plan.
The sender also told the person to leave the school on Friday morning or refrain from attending classes altogether.
Police personnel tracked down and arrested the suspect.
He faces potential charges for violations of grave threats and unjust vexation in relation to the Cybercrime Prevention Act of 2012. Schools are now demanding stricter policies against prank threats.
Church Prayers
The Archdiocese of Cebu issued an oratio imperata or special prayer for the protection of schools and children.
Archbishop Albert Uy, in his written prayer, asked for divine protection amid the recent alarming incidents.
“Grant wisdom and vigilance to parents, teachers, school personnel, and all entrusted with their care,” a portion of the prayer read.
The prayer will be recited at every Mass across the Archdiocese.
Earlier this week, a student and an alleged shooter were killed during an attack at the Ateneo de Zamboanga University.
Just last June, three teenaged students were killed and 20 others wounded in an attack at a San Jose National High School in Tacloban, Leyte.
