Friday, August 21, 2026

Warrant Against Marcoleta Out in 10 Days?

THE three-day Iglesia Ni Cristo (INC) rally doesn’t seem enough to stop the Ombudsman from filing plunder charges against Senator Rodante Marcoleta over a P75-million campaign donation.

“Today, we filed a plunder case against Sen. Rodante Marcoleta before the Sandiganbayan,” the anti-graft body said in a statement. “This was not a decision made lightly or by choice.”

Aside from Marcoleta, also dragged in the plunder complaint are former Anakalusugan Rep. Mike Defensor, and businessmen identified as Aristotle Viray and Joseph Espiritu.

On the same day, the plunder case was raffled to the anti-graft Third Division, which will study the Charge sheet to determine whether or not there’s sufficient basis to issue an arrest warrant against the respondents.

Under existing court procedures, the case review would take 10 days at the most. Plunder is non-bailable.

Aside from plunder, Marcoleta, Defensor, Espiritu, and Viray have been charged with violating Presidential Decree No. 46, which prohibits public officials from receiving, and private persons from giving, gifts on any occasion.

Earlier this week, Ombudsman Jesus Crispin Remulla hinted at filing a plunder case against Marcoleta, prompting the INC to organize thousands of members to join a protest rally at the Edsa People Power Monument — in support of the senator.

Tens of thousands attended the rally which caused major disruption in Metro Manila’s major thoroughfare. The rally lasted for three days, the third day of which was held at the Liwasang Bonifacio in Manila City.

“We recognize this case has stirred intense public debate, and we respect every citizen’s right to an opinion, to rally, and to demand accountability, including from us,” the Ombudsman said.

“The evidence against Marcoleta and his co-accused leaves our office no discretion to look away… These facts are not in dispute; the senator has publicly confirmed receiving the money, and they can be stipulated at the onset of trial,” the statement further reads.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular

DOE Revising Systems Loss...

OVERWHELMED by public outrage over bill shocks, the Department...

US Wants Quiboloy Flown...

CITING existing treaties of which the Philippines is a...

Palace Stops Jonvic, No...

MALACAÑANG finds no reason to extend the term of...

China Lays Claim Over...

WITH the maritime territorial dispute at the West Philippine...

Court Issues Warrant Against...

FROM being whistleblowers, all 18 individuals referred to as...

Related

PH Financial Improvement at its Lowest Level in 4...

HOPELESSNESS IF LEFT unchecked could lead to desperation as...

P10K Wage Increase For Teachers, Sought

WITH an election less than two years away, a...

SWS Claims Poverty Down, But Octa Says Otherwise

SURVEYS no longer reflect the real situation on the...

Floodgate Scam Witness Guteza Recants Affidavit

CHANCES of putting former House Speaker Martin Romualdez behind...

LGUs Taking Shares of Pork Barrel Too

THE RELEASE LAST February by the executive branch of...

More from Author