Tuesday, May 19, 2026

DOJ Wants Plunder Raps Filed Against Jinggoy

FOLLOWING MONTHS of evaluation, the submission of counter-affidavits, and extensive evidence-gathering, the Department of Justice asked the Ombudsman to file plunder and other charges against Sen. Jinggoy Estrada and several other current and past officials of the Department of Public Works and Highways.

This as Assistant Ombudsman Mico Clavano explained to the media that the DOJ Panel concluded that there is an interconnected network of public officers who abused their official designations to manipulate project specifications, clear budgets, and rig public bidding workflows,” said Clavano.

MOSTLY FROM DPWH

Clavano said those to be charged with Estrada as primary respondents are: Former DPWH Secretary Manuel Bonoan, the late former DPWH Undersecretary Maria Catalina Cabral (case for dropping); and former DPWH Undersecretary Roberto Bernardo.

Likewise on DOJ’s wishlist included former DPWH Metro Manila regional director Gerard Opulencia; DPWH district engineer Henry Alcantara; Bong Dinglasan and Denryl Caesar Cortuna, DPWH assistant district engineers in North Manila; DPWH district engineer Manny Bulusan; a certain Arturo Gonzales Jr.; Manny Bulusan and several other John and Jane Does.

Cases to be filed are plunder, graft and bribery against Sen. Estrada in connection with the flood control scandal.

EXTENSIVE INVESTIGATION

Clavano said the recommendation was contained in the resolution of the DOJ’s National Prosecution Service with Docket No. XVI-INV-26A-00003, stemming from a comprehensive preliminary investigation triggered by the criminal complaint lodged by the National Bureau of Investigation-Department of Justice (NBI-DOJ) Public Works and Bid-Rigging Task Force.

In September 2025, Estrada, through his spokesperson, said he remained confident that no evidence exists linking him to any supposed “kickbacks” in flood control projects.

The DOJ’s preliminary investigation was able to accumulate exhaustive evidence, including legislative records, position description forms, and sworn transcripts from the Senate blue ribbon committee hearings held in November last year.

In separate Senate hearings, former DPWH assistant district engineer Brice Hernandez alleged that Estrada and Sen. Joel Villanueva maneuvered to allocate P355 million and P600 million, respectively, to Bulacan’s first district in exchange for a 30-percent cut in the funding.

MORE CHARGES LISTED

Aside from plunder under Republic Act No. 7080, the respondents were recommended to be charged for violation of Section 3(b) and Section 3(e) of Republic Act No. 3019 or the Anti-Graft and Corrupt Practices Act, Direct Bribery and Receiving Gifts by Public Officers under Article 210 of the Revised Penal Code, and Corruption of Public Officials under Article 212 of the Revised Penal Code.

Criminal charges were likewise recommended dropped against Bernardo, Opulencia, and Alcantara, who are all under the DOJ’s Witness Protection Program.

Clavano said the Office of the Ombudsman will conduct its own independent review of the merits of the DOJ’s findings, leading to the possible filing of cases before the Sandiganbayan if warranted.

ICI INTERIM REPORT

The second interim report of the Independent Commission for Infrastructure released in October 2025 also asked the Office of the Ombudsman to consider filing plunder charges against Estrada and Villanueva; Bernardo; former Ako Bicol Rep. Zaldy Co; former Caloocan Rep. Mary Mitzi Cajayon-Uy; and Commission on Audit Commissioner Mario Lipana, for their alleged “participation in a scheme which they took profit of [involving] massively large amounts of the people’s money.” 

The DOJ also recommended plunder, graft cases vs Estrada, Bonoan over flood control mess, Rappler reported.

Estrada and Bonoan cannot leave the country after the DOJ secured a precautionary hold departure order against them in February.

According to the Ombudsman, the DOJ probe centered on allegations that “multiple high-ranking public officials and private individuals conspired to maneuver allocations, rig public bidding processes, and siphon government funds stemming from major national infrastructure budget systems.”

“The preliminary investigation accumulated exhaustive evidence, including legislative records, Position Description Forms, and sworn transcripts from the Senate blue ribbon committee hearings held on November 14, 2025, which detailed illicit maneuvers and alleged 30% cuts surrounding regional flood control projects,” the investigative body said.

OMBUDSMAN DISCRETION

It’s important to note that the DOJ only made its recommendation to the Ombudsman, which means the matter has yet to reach a court. It would be the Ombudsman who would file the charges in court, if it agrees with the position of the justice department.

“Moving forward, the next step will be to allow the Office of the Ombudsman to conduct its own independent review and resolution on the merits of the case. The possible outcomes of the office’s independent evaluation include affirming the findings of the Department of Justice, amending the resolution, or reversing the findings altogether,” Clavano said.

As of writing, only a few flood control cases have reached the courts.

Those cases include that of former senator Bong Revilla, former Ako Bicol representative (now a fugitive) Elizaldy Co, and some former DPWH officials which are pending with the Sandiganbayan, and contractor Sarah Discaya’s case pending before the Lapu-Lapu City Regional Trial Court in Cebu, Rappler added.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular

No Homecoming For Fugitive...

CONTRARY to Interior Secretary Jonvic Remulla’s claim, former Ako...

Emergency Preparedness for Community...

As part of ongoing efforts to strengthen safety, awareness,...

Angono Local Council Suspends...

FAILURE to adhere to transparency in transactions involving public...

Pag-IBIG Squanders P6B In...

WHERE Martin Romualdez goes, expect bad luck. Whatever he...

Purge Is On For...

FOR THE LONGEST time, the Bureau of Internal Revenue...

Related

Cayetano Is Losing Numbers In Senate

WHILE Senate President Alan Peter Cayetano may have successfully...

New DBM Boss Makes History

NEWLY-APPOINTED Budget Secretary Kim Robert de Leon has made...

Chavit Helped Bato Escape?

POLITICAL kingpin helped embattled Senator Ronald “Bato” Dela Rosa...

Another All-Time Low For PH Peso

THE Philippine peso further weakened as it recorded a...

Metro Water Supply Enough Until May

NOT EVEN the assurance from the National Water Resources...

More from Author